2014-02-04

PSA: Missed Call From A Mystery Number? Be Careful.

Link To Article
Date of Article:  2014-02-03 
Source of Article:  techcrunch.com. 
I have noticed from checking the call logger on my home phone that I have been getting many more call from numbers unknown to me lately.  I don't know if any of them were single ring calls or not since the logger does not log the number of rings but some of the things like identifying valid human on the other end calls could easily be multi-ring calls from unknown numbers.  I suspect things like this are one reason that more people are using answering machines to screen their incoming calls.
I have also had several calls from unknown numbers that when checked out using 800notes.com that were from numbers that have been reported to be scams or questionable telemarketing.  Since I have been on the National Do Not Call list I should not be receiving these but crooks tend to ignore the list.  When I do identify a number as a telemarketer I do file a complaint with the FTC which could result in a fine for them since their call(s) to my number are a violation of the law.
BTW certain political and charity organizations were exempted from this law, something that I view as a major mistake.  Also any business that you have done business with has the right to call your number.  The rules governing cell phone calls are even more complicated.

W.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your question/answer candidate here and if on-topic and reasonably presented a moderator will accept it as a comment or elevate it to a post.
You may request an elevated post to not be attributed to you. If not requested the first line in the post will attribute the post to you.
Any included links must be to publicly available sites which do not require registration to access them.