2014-01-13

Microsoft pulls the plug on Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP

Link to Article
This article addresses a concern which may of my fellow seniors are facing since they still have XP based PCs.  I an lucky enough to have systems based on Windows 7 and 8.1 but I have talked to quite a few who still have XP.  I like the author's idea of having Microsoft continue to offer Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP on a subscription basis.  There are a lot of senior citizens who have XP based PCs who would prefer to keep what they have for the following reasons:
  1. They know how to use the PC they have and don't really want to have to learn how to use another operating system.
  2. Cost:  they are on a fixed income and buying a new system is not an option for them.
Offering these seniors a reasonably priced option for maintaining their systems security would win Microsoft a lot of good will both with the seniors and their friends and relatives.
To be open I do not currently use Microsoft Security Essentials on either of my systems so I am not personally affected by this decision on the part of Microsoft but I do have friends who are.
W.C.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your question/answer candidate here and if on-topic and reasonably presented a moderator will accept it as a comment or elevate it to a post.
You may request an elevated post to not be attributed to you. If not requested the first line in the post will attribute the post to you.
Any included links must be to publicly available sites which do not require registration to access them.